2008/05/07

The delight is in the making


Me and Sung-Cheol on our trip to Goje Island, Thanksgiving 2007


About a week and a half ago I went on a date to Coex Mall (I posted my impression of this place a while ago). While there, I watched a movie that involved a lot of gruesome deaths, ate a meal that involved a lot of ramen noodles, and walked a kilometer or two underground.

Also, and with more relevance to this post, as I shared a waffle bathed in ice cream with my girlfriend Yuna, I translated a Korean poem into English. Yuna had undertaken a project to illustrate a poem called Green Delight, written by one Hyeon-Jong Jeong. Yuna's illustration of the poem included, of course, a version of the original inscribed in beautiful calligraphy, but she also wanted to add a version in English. Initially, I was just going to check her own translation, but I ended up retranslating it myself.

I would recommend you attribute any felicities in the translation to the grace of the original, any false steps in the translation to the immaturity of the translator.

---
Green Delight (in a Forest in the Spring)

by Hyeon-Jong Jeong

tr. by David Carruth

The sun sinks down in waves
of light, overflowing with its own light.
The sun becomes the crown
of all greens and all flowers,
and it beams on the greens and flowers,
which are its crown.
Like the father of allegory,
like a spring of green,
it beams across all the blue expanse of heaven.
The whole of heaven is pure delight-
it is a temple.
Sun, blue heaven,
green delight of the branches
swaying and drunk on the light and air,
on their own sap,
like water floating in the sky.
So also is the dirt, and in deep places
its fragrant eyes search,
and in secret it gives and receives,
and it smiles.
This fragrance,
this fragrance of the smiling dirt,
it seems to be pouring into my nose.
Fragrance of heaven!
Fragrance of the trees!

---
If by chance anyone would like to compare my translation with the original, you can find it here. Of course, unless you're relatively proficient in Korean, it may not be very interesting to you...